All dogs have the propensity to bite; it is in their nature. Some breeds, however, seem to have a tendency to nip and bite more than others. My list of the top ten biting breeds will surprise you; not containing the breeds commonly thought of to be the most aggressive.
In July 2008, the journal of Applied Animal Behaviour Science published a study done by researches at the University of Pennsylvania. They surveyed and discussed with over 6,000 dog owners their experiences with aggression in their dogs. The researchers compiled a report containing 33 dog breeds most likely to bite. Here are the dog breeds with the greatest percentage of bites and bite attempts on humans.
- Dachshund. Yes, the sausage dog is most likely to bite strangers and its owners.
- Chihuahua. These are big dogs in a little package, and none are afraid to tell you so. Chihuahuas are very likely to bite strangers and owners.
- Jack Russell Terrier. These feisty little dogs are also quick to nip. They have a tendency to try to nip at strangers and family members.
- Australian Cattle Dog. This breed is great to have around the home, but you must be careful; they are herding dogs, which means they are very likely to nip family and strangers.
- American Cocker Spaniel. A common breed in many homes in the United States, this dog does have tendencies to nip and bite at owners.
- Beagle. Another family favorite, beagles seem to nip and bite at their families.
There are other breeds, like the Akita and Pit Bull Terrier, which are more prone to trying to nip or bite other dogs or animals.
It must always be kept in mind that small dogs often go un-reprimanded for biting. Many owners find it cute. It is also the only way a small dog has to get people to back up. Remember, you are a giant to him!
There are many breeds of dogs, like Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, and Mastiffs, who often get a bad reputation for biting. These dogs have been bred to be protective dogs, plus their size makes them do serious damage when they do bite. Because of this, more stigma is put on the breed.